1. Do children develop speech ability at the same rate?

No. Learning to talk happens at different rates for different children.

2. Why are we called Speech-Language Pathologists?

The “Speech” part:

  • pronunciation
  • being able to include all the sounds and syllables of a word

The Language part:

  • understanding of words
  • understanding of directions
  • vocabulary
  • number of words per sentence
  • grammar

Children often need help in one of these two areas, and sometimes they may need help in both areas.

3. Eligibility

To be eligible for our program your child must age 0 – school entry. Once your child is in the school system they are not eligible. You must also reside in our catchment area, which is south of 92nd Avenue, between King George Highway and 196th Street.

4. Current Wait Time

The current wait time for a 1-to-1 visit is a minimum of one year. Workshops and groups are offered through the year and wait time is much less (1-4 months).

5. What can I do while waiting for service?


Instead of stopping and “correcting” your child’s speech, repeat back what they have said, clearly pronouncing the sounds they have trouble with. For example, if your child says “tar” instead of “car,” you can say, “yes, we’re going in the car.”

Just as physical development has a general pattern, so does speech sound development.

Handout: Sound Development Chart


Children often learn to talk by copying what they hear. The single most helpful thing you can do as a parent is to talk to your child using short, simple sentences. Don’t worry about asking your child to say or copy a word; they will copy on their own as soon as they are able.

For more parent language strategies, see handout:

Handout: Parent Language Strategies at A Glance

If you have extended health benefits your plan may include a yearly allowance for private speech and language services. A list of private practitioners can be found on the following website: www.bcaslpa.ca. Accessing private services while waiting will not impact your child’s placement for our services.

6. Who can refer to SESLP?

The following list of individuals would be qualified to refer a child to the SESLP: parents, caregivers, doctors, public health nurses, preschool teachers (with parent consent).

7. Do I need to get a hearing test first before I can make a referral?

No hearing test is required prior to referral (hearing tests are done at specific health units depending on where you live – see list below).

8. Private SLP Providers

You can go to the website www.speechandhearingbc.ca to access the list of private speech pathologists and get private service (if you have extended health benefits this may be covered) while you are waiting on our list – it does not affect your status.

9. Phone Numbers of Health Units in our Area:

Guildford – 604-587-4751– Audiology only
North Surrey – 604-587-7900 – Speech only
North Delta – 604-507-5448 Speech & Audiology Depts
Langley – 604-539-2900 Speech & Audiology Depts
Cloverdale – 604-575-6381– Audiology only